Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hard at work

Painting in the atelier




Dinan at Dusk
I have been in Dinan for two weeks now and have 13 paintings hanging on the wall, some large and some small. In this painting of Dinan at dusk, which does not occur until ten pm, I'm trying to capture the unusual rose and turquoise light which seems to effervesce the landscape, but I'm still not sure that I have found the correct colors to use. I only used three colors here: quinacridone gold, quinacridone rose and manganese blue. I'm still investigating a new way of defining and describing the colors that I see here on the Emerald Coast.
We've travelled all over Brittany and have seen one lovely sight after another. It rains every day, so all the colors are muted with a veil of grey. Lehon is a tiny jewel of flowers and medieval stone houses and an abbey; Cap Frehel is a jumble of dramatic pink granite cliffs and turquoise ocean; Dinard is a funky, French beach side city with a resort feel; Normandy is quieter with the same rocky cliffs; Giverny is a visual paradise of lily ponds, flowers and tiny stone homes; Cancale is another resort style town pounded by the surf. Every day is full of centuries old surprises.

No comments: